Tuesday, July 5, 2011

30 days of me

Day 13- A letter to someone who has hurt you recently

Dear Mom,

I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, ever since you came over for BK’s birthday and I invited you to come to Bug’s preschool graduation. You said you would come. I told you you could come to the house first and we’d drive to the church together, so you wouldn’t get lost. You said you were excited to see her. You were all set to go… until I mentioned that Dad and his wife would be there, too. Then you never said another word about it.

And you didn’t show up.

I get it. He hurt you. He left you for another woman. But it’s not like it was yesterday. It’s been 18 years. In one more year, you will be divorced for longer than you were together. I’m sure it’s awkward, but you would think that you’d be able to be able to suck it up long enough to be able to see your oldest grandchild graduate from pre-school.

See, this is why I don’t invite you to stuff. The ballet recitals, the birthday parties… I would rather not invite you and have it look like I’m playing favorites between you and Dad, than to invite you and have you not show up.

It’s ok. I knew you weren’t going to come. I saw it on your face as soon as I said her name. But the fact that you couldn’t tell me, that I had to call on the day of the graduation and make you say it, that’s what hurts.

And don’t worry, Bug didn’t even notice. She was happy with the family members that were there. She’s used to you not being around.

Until the next time,
Lovely

More 30 days of me:
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Nine
Day Ten

Day Eleven
Day Twelve


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

2 comments:

  1. oh man - i'm really sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Jenna's...

    I love the honesty in your post - it is raw and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!