Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Guest Post: My Mom

The other day, I wrote a letter to my mom, saying I was upset about how she didn’t come to Bug’s preschool graduation. I was upset, and I said some things that maybe I shouldn’t have. So, I thought it only fitting that I give my mother a chance to respond to my letter. May I introduce to you now, my mother.



Thank you for letting me write. I don’t mean to be a bother to anyone, so you can just skip this post if you don’t want to read it.

I want to tell you a little bit about myself. I met Lovely’s father Lucky when I was 13. We dated for five years, much of that time while he was serving in Vietnam. It was very romantic for me-- I would write him letters each week, and I would tell my friends at school of my heroic soldier boyfriend fighting for our freedom.

Lucky and I were married in 1972, not long after he returned home. I was 18. It was a huge change for me. I remember about two weeks after we got married, I was washing dishes and suddenly thought, "what in the world have I gotten myself into?"

But I stuck at it. I loved Lucky, and he loved me. We would get through this.

I gave birth to Lovely a year and a half later, and our life turned out pretty much the way I always dreamed it would. We bought a house, Lucky worked, and I stayed home and took care of Lovely. The house was clean, dinner was made, and I was the kind of wife I thought Lucky wanted.

Lucky had strayed several times before, but I don’t need to get into the details of who or how or why. I’ll just tell you about the last time.

Lovely was 18, and she was about the start college. Lucky and I decided to go away for the weekend, just the two of us. I was so excited. It had been years since we had gone away together. We weren’t doing anything extravagant, just going camping for the weekend, but I knew it was exactly what our souls needed.

I was not prepared for what Lucky told me on that trip. Much of it is a blur now, but the point was, he had been having an affair, and he was leaving me. He said he didn’t know if he loved her, he didn’t know a lot of things, but he knew one thing for certain:

He didn’t love me.

He left, and Lovely and I were on our own. But really, it was just me. Lovely was an adult, the age I was when I got married. She was staying home while she went to college, but her life was filled with boyfriends and studies and part-time jobs and best friends. She didn’t have time for the woman who stayed in bed all day, wondering what happened to her life.

I never thought he would really go through with it. Maybe we had problems, but he wasn’t going to give up everything he had, everything he had worked on for 20 years, he wasn’t going to lose all that for some fling he was having with a coworker. He was going to call it off, he was going to come back home, we were going to work it out.

I thought that all the way until the day the divorce was finalized.

And then the day that Lovely revealed her father was marrying that coworker? I guess it wasn’t a fling, after all.

I was left a 38-year-old divorcee, with no work experience and no job skills.

So when I am forced to see them together, so happy, able to give my daughter and grandchildren everything I should be able to give them, yeah, that hurts. Excuse me if I don’t want to be around to see it.

That’s my life she’s living.


Mama’s Losin’ It

The Topic:
A post your mom would write if your mom wrote posts.







Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

13 comments:

  1. How's that for perspective? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I in no way want to diminish the relationship you had with Lucky, but as a daughter whose parents went through the exact situation (my Dad cheated on my Mom, left us after 23 years of marriage and married his "fling"), I totally understand the hurt feelings Lovely has.

    However, we went the opposite direction, not inviting my Dad to important events (i.e. Christmas, births of children, etc) because my Mom couldn't be in the same room as "them". As a daughter, I always hoped my Mom could put aside the anger long enough to let us ALL enjoy an event that wasn't about HER, thus allowing both parents to attend. Alas, it was not to be and she held on to the bitterness toward my Dad until the day she passed. As a result, relationships (mine, my husband and daughters) with my Dad were put on the back burner and I feel we all suffered.

    She was young when they divorced (like you) and I always wondered if her life could have been a little happier if she could have just let go and moved on.

    Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just sad that you're letting something that happened so long ago cheat you out of seeing some pretty awesome milestones in your daughter and grandchildren's lives.

    Obviously, I cannot understand your feelings, I'm just speaking as a daughter who experienced the same thing and knows how much the division affected me. Regardless of my parents split, she was still my Mom and he was still my Dad and both deserved to be part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy sharing our feelings with loved ones, the hard feelings that we can't even admit to ourselves sometimes. I hope that writing here as a forum for the two of you will help to bridge the communication. I've been writing letters back and forth with my mother over the past year about something very painful and it has helped. Thank you for sharing this with us today as it helps us to think about our mothers not just as mothers but as individual women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's so sad. I'm sorry for your family and all of the hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm really sorry. such a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a moving letter...Visiting from Jenna's. @Kayla, your comment too was beautiful, something to think about. Best wishes to all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Lovely's Mom. I thank you for taking the time to write out your feelings on this. I'm sure it wasn't easy to do.

    I understand where you're coming from and I can't imagine how painful it has been for you to go through all of this.

    I really hope this doesn't sound harsh, because I don't mean it to be. I know that Other Woman is living the life that was supposed to be yours, but I think you're missing out on some great experiences by holding onto that pain. Perhaps you can look for ways to build a new life you can be excited about, and one that will help things not to be so painful when you're forced to see your ex and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from Jenna's and that is such a powerful post! I know it is so hard to think about both sides of the story sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So heartbreaking!! I would be devastated to go through something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who feels the same way about family gathering. Her husband left her after thirty years for a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow....just read this. I am living almost exactly what your mom did, with a few minor differences (ie my children are not yet adults, I have worked since I was 19, and the woman my not yet ex husband is now living with is not a coworker but a former high school friend). I however, refuse to ever let him keep me from any events in my children or future grandchildren's lives. He is not worth it. (Plus I suspect his presence will diminish in time).

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow can so relate, my dad also left my mom and married his fling.She was younger blonder and slimmer and had four kids.

    My mom held on to her bitterness all of her life.

    My dad now subsidizes my mom's life to the tune of about 6k per year. some years more.

    I think he feels guilty.

    They are both alone now, Dad is 80 mom is 70.

    It's sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!