Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Got Snacks?

Remember the days when you could snack on whatever you wanted and still be the skinny kid? Yeah, me neither. But I did love my snacks! Here are my favorites, in no particular order: 




* Clearly Canadian

Does a drink count as a snack? Don't know, don't care. It was a red letter day when my mother replaced my normal Capri Sun with a delicious Clearly Canadian. Like soda, but water. Sweet! 


* Pringles

I love love LOVE Pringles. Loved them then, love them now. But I'll pass on those crazy flavors. It's super salty or nothing. 


* Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

I was in high school when I discovered choc covered espresso beans. I wasn't drinking coffee yet, but this was the first step into my caffeine addiction. Well, if I'm really being honest, my addiction started way before that, when I would come home from school and actually start crying if there wasn't a Pepsi in the refrigerator waiting for me. It's why my children don't drink soda now. Well, that and it's bad for them.


* Fig Newtons

Fruit in a cookie never tasted so good. 



* Hostess Fruit Pies

This was a very rare treat. Not pictured is my very favorite flavor, the Boysenberry. Or maybe it was Mixed Berry. Or maybe just Berry. Whatever. 


* Doughnut Holes 

Quick Story: There was a flower shop next door to a grocery store near our house. My best friend and I would ride our bikes to the flower shop, buy a dozen daisies for a dollar, and then we would go next door to the bakery of the grocery store and buy a dozen doughnut holes for another dollar. My mama was happy to have flowers, and my belly was happy to be full!


* Handi Snacks


Another treat that I didn't get very often, but when I did, I was the coolest kid in the lunchroom.... at least my mind.


* Movie Theater Popcorn

I like the popcorn more than the movie. Extra butter, extra salt. And I need my own. No Sharing. Get your own bag. Strangely enough, I don't really care for popcorn outside of the movies. 


* Black Jelly Beans

The best thing about Easter is jelly beans.... the best thing about jelly beans is finding the black ones.... the best thing about the black ones is that no one else wants them. I get them all to myself.



* Salami Pepper Cream Cheese Roll Up Things

I've always liked salami, but I didn't experience my first roll up until I was 18. I was meeting my future stepmother, Alice, for the first time with her son and her parents. I was leery about meeting her, and then she set a plate of these in front of me. And I devoured the entire plate. It didn't make me love her that first day, but it was a step in the right direction.

What did you love to snack on when you were a kid?


Mama’s Losin’ It

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

8 comments:

  1. We are snack soul mates, right down to the HandiSnack upping our status in the lunchroom. Though these days I think I might throw up if I had to eat one of those fruit pies. They were such a a treat, though, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pringles and popcorn. Those are my favourite out of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your daisy and doughnut hole story!
    I am old, so I remember when Pringles came out. My mom never bought them, because they were expensive, but my great aunts would buy them for us. In those days, the cans were lined with fluted paper (like cupcake liners). My mom went through a crafty spell where she made scented candles and used the empty Pringles cans for forms. It was a sad day when I realized they didn't have the paper inside them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to eat Fig Newtons as a kid. I still eat Pringles, but now they're the lowfat kind! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Fig Newtons until my cousin told me that it was old people food.
    I am a huge fan of black jelly beans and being one of 5 kids all of my siblings gave them all to me. Heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aside from the espresso beans, I'm totally feeling you on this list! Those hand pies!! MMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohmigosh! Clearly Canadian! I loved it! And movie theater popcorn - it irritates the heck out of me when my husband eats half of my bucket...before the movie begins. We've started getting the refill special. He chows down before the show, brings me a refill and then doesn't touch it the rest of the movie.

    Now, my favorite childhood snack was my grandma's (or great grandma's) spicy dill pickles. You might say I was a little spoiled - Grandma put in a huge garden...with 3 rows of cucumber plants. She put up around 100 quarts of pickles for me each year. Which was never quite enough because I could go through a whole jar in a day. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spicy dills? I don't think I've ever tried one!

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!