Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The truth about Santa

I've talked about this before. I don't go crazy when buying Christmas gifts for the kids. We stick to the four gift rule:

good idea

They also each get one present from Santa and their stockings are filled with little trinkets. And I'll probably get them each a Christmas Eve package: Christmas pajamas, popcorn and treats, and then we'll watch a movie.

We aren't big on encouraging the belief in Santa. In fact, we didn't discuss Santa at all until Bug was in preschool and every other kid started telling her about the fat man. But now Bug is 8 and in the 3rd grade, and she has already asked several times, "Just tell me the truth: Is Santa real?"

I always respond with my standard response: "Children who don't believe in Santa get socks and underwear for Christmas."

But this year, I will be telling Bug the truth about Santa, using this letter as a guide.  I am very nervous about this. I don't want to spoil the magic of Christmas for her. But really, I can't remember a time that I ever thought Santa was real, and I still think Christmas is most magical time of the year. So hopefully she'll be ok with it.

I'd love to hear from some of my readers about this-- did your kids ever believe in Santa? If so, when did they learn the truth, and how did you handle it?

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

1 comment:

  1. This is the same rule I'm following this year!!! I'm doing the four gifts and the stocking. We don't do Santa at all. My daughter will be three and she knows that Santa does not bring her gifts but that she's not supposed to tell other kids that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!