Thursday, June 23, 2011

Life

She walked into the 8 x 8 room and shuddered as the door slammed shut behind her.

This isn’t right. I don’t belong here.

She hugged the standard issue blanket and pillow a little closer to her. How did she get here? This was a dream, right? She was going to wake up and be with her sweet husband and baby girl again.

She took a deep breath to keep the tears from falling again. She had to be strong. Her father told her to be strong, to never let anyone see how scared she was. But she was scared. Oh, so scared.

The trial had been nothing but a blur. Her lawyer had said from the beginning that she didn’t have a chance, and never exerted more than a half-hearted effort. There was just too much evidence against her, and not enough people in her corner. And she, she was just baffled by the whole thing. How could anyone think she had killed him? He was her life, her everything. How could anyone think she was capable of such a thing? It just didn’t make sense. And the whole time, she kept thinking it was all just a bad dream. Her husband wasn’t really dead. Her daughter wasn’t really missing. She wasn’t really going to trial. She wasn’t really going to jail. But it was all true. It was really happening. Her whole life had been reduced to her new 8 by 8 room.

She closed her eyes and allowed the tears to fall. This was her life now.

For life.


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

8 comments:

  1. My heart is breaking for her now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about taking this kind of twist on the "Life" prompt! Very nicely done. One of the most original stories I've read amongst the responses today. My heart breaks at the finality of her predicament.

    Very nicely done! Stopping by from TRDC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Blown away by this piece! This poor woman- this story totally has legs! I hope to read more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For life ... agree that it is a great twist on the prompt from TRDC!

    Also agree with Galit, that more of this story would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you took this prompt! This is one of the best twists so far. I think this idea deserves some more words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the truth? You can't handle the truth! I don't know why but this popped into my head. Very interesting story. Drew me in straight away. I wish there was more though...damn you 300 words! Lol. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This is so well done! I'm so glad you do TRDC too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!