Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Prom That Wasn't

I have a confession.

I have never been to prom.

It wasn’t even a question my freshman and sophomore years. I wasn’t dating anyone, none of my friends were going, it was the furthest thing on my mind.

I thought I had a chance of going my Junior year. I was kind of messing around with a guy who I had a few classes with, nothing serious. He ended up asking his ex-girlfriend. I wasn’t seeing anyone else, so I had no other options. The sad part was, I wrote the poem that was printed on the favors, so everyone was looking for me at prom to congratulate me on the poem.

I had a date to prom my senior year. My dress was red and fitted and moderately slutty. This was 1992, so I had my shoes colored to match the dress, as was the cool thing to do back then (note- it is no longer cool to do this. Go buy a pair of silver or gold strappy sandals). I picked up my boyfriend’s boutonniere, made the appointment to get my hair done, I was good to go.

Until.

My boyfriend was in college, and was also in the National Guard. Three days before prom, he was sent to Los Angeles to help restore peace during the Rodney King riots.

All my friends talked about the wonderful time they had had when we were back in school on Monday.

I had spent the weekend with my grandmother.

I am super cool.


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

2 comments:

  1. *tear*

    Thank you for advising the world to not dye their shoes to match their dress! By the way, I remember wanting a pair of lavender dyed shoes to match a dress but my mom wouldn't buy them for me. Looking back, she made the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not go to my prom either year because no one asked me. And in my high school, you did NOT go without a date. There was one guy who was apparently going to ask me junior year, but his mom made him take the daughter of some friend of hers. Lame.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!