Saturday, November 19, 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

So, I had a birthday. I am 38 now.

I’ve never been one to lie about my age. I’ve never said, “I’m 29    (.… plus 9.)” At the same time, I’ve never felt my age. It was almost like I was bragging: “Oh, you thought I was 25? I’m actually 34.” Stuff like that.

But this year, I’m feeling my age. It’s been a rough year on my self esteem. I’ve gained 23 pounds in the last year. Everything in my closet looks frumpalicious. Lately when I look in the mirror, I see a 38-year-old-who’s-trying-to-look-like-a-29-year-old. I don’t want to look like a 38-year-old-who’s-trying-to-look-like-a-29-year-old. I want to look hot.

So, in the last year, I started coloring my hair, I’ve worked on my fashion sense, I’ve started adding more make up to my face in the mornings. Then, on my birthday, I locked the door, stripped off my clothes, and took a pretty hard assessment of myself.

I saw stretch marks. Flabs. Gravity.

Sigh. I am sure these things were present on my body prior to Saturday, but I didn’t really see them. I see them now.

But God Bless The Agent. He was staring at me all day long. “What are you looking at?” I asked self consciously.

“The most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen,” The Agent answered right away.

He’s a keeper.



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! I'm sure you are fabulous! Cute post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me smile! I love husbands who happen to have the exact right words when you need them (it's a rare thing). I opened a piece of Dove chocolate that said, Sometimes a smile is worth more than a dozen roses.

    Congrats on your birthday...you've earned every one of those years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday!

    You ARE beautiful. That Agent of yours is a good guy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!