Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Will you Cross the Line?

The Black Friday planning is well under way!

I've been told that Wal Mart workers may be on strike on Friday. My stepmother, who is my shopping partner in crime, is a union worker and not allowed to cross a picket line. My father, now retired, is also loyal to the union and will not cross a picket line. However, since I am not part of a union, it is perfectly acceptable for me to walk in, with my stepmother's list, and buy everything that she needs. She's not one to be deterred by a technicality.

The whole thing seems a little silly to me. I've never been part of a union before, so maybe I don't get it. But these are the facts as I understand them. The employees of Wal Mart are upset about their low wages, part time hours, and lack of benefits. But here's what I don't get. If they're so unhappy, why don't they leave? And the standard answer is that it's hard to get a job, companies aren't hiring, economic times are tough, etc.

Exactly. Times are tough. People need a job. And if you don't like the company you work for, there are 50 other people waiting in line to take your place. Check out this pic:

I'm sure this Wal Mart employee is thinking, "go ahead and sit there... I'm going to get my paycheck now."
Hey, I get it. It probably sucks at Wal Mart. I know it sucks to shop there, so working there can't be any better. But at least you have a job. Suck it up until you're able to find something better.

But here's the part that really annoys me. So, from what understand, the employees aren't actually part of a union, they're just a group of people who are joining together to ask for more money. But my stepmother isn't allowed to cross ANY picket line.

"That's crazy," I said. "So if I'm just walking around picketing, with a sign that says 'Lovely is awesome,' you can't cross my line?"

"Well," Alice answered, "It has to be has to be a cause worth fighting for."

So, I guess the fact that I'm awesome isn't a cause worth fighting for.

What do you think? If you're shopping on Friday, will you cross the Wal Mart picket lines?


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!