Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Pinocchio Syndrome

Did I share this story yet? This is one of the many instances of BK's naughtiness lately.

A couple of weeks ago, BK came home with a novelty eraser, one that was shaped like a calculator. "Look at the eraser I got!" he said.

"Oh, that's cool," I answered. "Where did you get that?"

"Mrs. K gave it to me." Mrs K is his teacher.

"Oh, really? Why did she do that?"

"Because I've been so good lately."

Well, he HAD been good that week. And we HAD just gone to parent-teachers conferences,  where his teacher HAD said she was going to start rewarding him  more for positive behavior. I was inclined to believe him.

But Bug didn't believe him from the beginning. "There is no way that Mrs. K gave that to you," she said, "You're lying. You know you're lying."

BK was furious. "I am NOT lying!"

Bug was very calm, very matter of fact. "I know you're lying."

I intervened. "Now, Bug, you don't know what happens in BK's class. But BK, tell me: did everyone get an eraser, or just certain people?"

BK's answer was immediate and sure. "Only certain people. You had to be good."

"Hmmmm.... and if I called Mrs K and ask her what happened, would she tell me the same story?"

"Yes."

Well. That was that. I believed him. And I didn't think much of it.... except later that night after the kids went to bed I found the eraser broken in to three pieces. Well, that was a waste.  The whole thing was swept into the garbage.

But Bug wasn't ready to give up. She tracked Mrs. K down on the playground the next day. "Mrs. K, did you give BK an eraser yesterday?"

Mrs. K was confused. "No, Sweetie, I didn't."

Bug gave a triumphant grin. "I KNEW it! I KNEW he was lying!"



So, that led to yet ANOTHER phone call from the school, about how BK had apparently stolen a 49 cent eraser from the book fair and then lied about it.

Sigh. I just don't know what I'm going to do about that boy.



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!