Friday, September 16, 2011

Minor Problem

Sigh. I have some disturbing news.

My sister Kari is pregnant.

This would not be such a big deal, if she wasn’t 17. And if she didn't already have an almost-2-year-old.

To catch my newer readers up, Kari found out she was pregnant when she was 14. The father was 18, and already had 2 children with another girl (also a minor). While Kari was pregnant, this same boy got two OTHER girls pregnant (yes, also minors).

Rock on, Kari. You sure know how to pick ‘em.

So, Kari tells me she’s pregnant, and I’m, well… not supportive. “What the hell, Kari? You didn’t learn your lesson the first time?”

“It really wasn’t my fault this time,” Kari said. “I was on birth control. I was on the shot.”

“No way. I call BS. Depo Provera has like 99.7% success rate. How far along are you?”

“The doctor thinks I’m about 2 months along.”

“And when did you get your first shot?”

“Well… I got it about two months ago. But they told me it would start working right away!”

Ugh.

And get this: the father is the SAME GUY. I really lost it when she told me that.

“Seriously, Kari? Because he takes such good care of his other five kids? What about the girls he got pregnant while you were pregnant with Ana?”

“I can’t really get upset with him for that. We were broken up at the time.”

“And what about now? Are you together? Are you a couple?”

Kari hesitated. “We’re… going together Lite.”

“What???? Going together Lite??? What does that even mean?”

“It means we’re not really a couple, but I would be mad if I heard that he was hooking up with someone else.”

“Oh my God. I’m going to kill you. And then I’m going to kill him. And then I’m going to kill Mom. What did Mom even say about this? Did she go ballistic?”

“Well, she’s taking it better than you are.”

Of course. Because I’m the only grown up here.

So, I had to end the conversation before I started to hyperventilate, so I didn’t get her due date, but I’m guessing late March/ early April. I know I should be a supportive sister, and I love my niece, and I know I’m going to love this new baby just as much, but it’s hard.

Seriously hard.


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

7 comments:

  1. That's pretty heavy. I remember being in shock when I had heard my step sister was going to be a Mom at 14. She's had 6 kids now and lost 2 of them to the system at the ripe age of 25 I believe. I'll be thinking about you and the sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. HOLY. COW. Hard doesn't even begin to describe that, for all of you. I'm proud of you, though, because I would probably have lost my temper completely, cursed her and him both into the dust, and then felt really bad about it afterward.

    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism
    (http://eclecticismjncl.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started reading this, I thought you must have imported an old post or something.

    I am shocked and angry and hope someone locks up this loser guy in jail. What the hell?? Why hasn't anyone pressed charges? And is he, like, the most potent man on the planet or something? Only 20 or so and he has, what, 6? 7? kids?

    This makes me sick.

    I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry for your sister. I'm REALLY sorry for your sister's babies.

    That guy needs his ass locked up and off the street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are blowing my mind right now. What an ASS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine the news is no less shocking than the first time around. We come from a similar place you and I and more often than not the questions we have go unanswered. I would really like to know when 2+2 stopped adding up to 4. The rules of life do not make sense more often than we would like to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I have nothing to say. I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. No, I don't think your reaction was over the top. Maybe this time she'll learn the consequenses of sleeping with someone and think harder before she does it again. Are there still any 3rd world countries that believe in castration? I might take her Baby Daddy there for a little field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man. i don't even know what to say. is she still living at home? are the kids taken care of? i just feel bad for the kids in situations like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!