Monday, September 5, 2011

Adventures in Color

I finally got around to making my blog header. Do you love? I may tweak it still a bit, but I’m liking the general idea. I’ve always made my buttons and headers in Photoshop in the past, but I’ve recently started playing with Picnik. Oh my goodness. SO much easier. It’s like Photoshop for the not-so-bright (me). The babies are BK and Bug, of course. Bringing on the cuteness. You know my paranoia with posting pictures, but if you can look at a black and white photo of a newborn and know who those kids are, you’re cooler than I am.

The house is coming along. The master bathroom is completely gutted. The carpets and tile and vinyl are all ripped out. Now we have to remove all the lights and doorknobs and such, before the painters come next Monday to paint.

The Agent has informed me that there’s granite countertops in my future. He was able to get a couple of good deals on other stuff, and we were under budget, so we found a guy to do our countertops who won’t completely take advantage of us. This is more than I hoped for. The Agent has already ripped out the old tile countertops, so there’s no going back now. I'm starting to get pretty friggin' excited. It's going to be like a whole new house!

I had no idea that picking out colors would be so difficult. I have no eye for this kind of stuff. I had looked at all the paint colors online and went to the paint store with the names of the paint I wanted samples of. It was a total mistake to look online, by the way. The computer color and the real color were completely different. I could have saved myself the three hours of staring at my computer screen. The three shades of beige I had seen online looked brown, olive and… some other color once I got to the store. Not beige, at any rate.

The problem was, I had two grumpy children with me who needed a nap, and I didn’t have the luxury of looking at thousands of paint chip samples. “Ummm… I would like a sample of Practical Beige, please.” The Agent's a practical, logical guy, so he should like that. “And the shade above that, Sand Dollar, please.”

The guy started mixing a quart of each, while I stared at the cards. They were starting to look a little pink. “Bug, look at this card. Do the colors look pink to you?”

Bug looked at the card. “Those are brown, Mommy.”

“No, they look pink to me. I think they might be pink.”

“Mommy, I’m in kindergarten, you’re not. Those are brown.”

Ugh.

I carried the card to the paint guy, who had just finished mixing my paint. “Do those look pink to you?”

The guy barely glanced at them. “Yes ma’am. Those are pink.”

Oh, God. The Agent would kill me if I painted our living room pink. I made the paint guy mix me up two more quarts. "Can you please pick out two shades of light beige? I'll trust your judgement." I'm sure the paint guy is used to dealing with crazies like me, because he did not seem to think this was an unusual request.

I went to the new house the next morning, and painted the samples on the wall. I don’t know about you guys, but I HAVE to see the paint on the wall first. And I’m happy to say, we have decided on a color: our house will be “Kilim Beige.”

My vocabulary isn’t great, so I had to look up the meaning of Kilim. It’s a rug.

Hey, as long as it’s beige, I don’t care what a kilim is!




Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

4 comments:

  1. i know all about paint drama. then it doesn't look the same out of the can as it does on the paint chip. chris hated what i picked out for g's room. and now it's oatbran. really? his room is the color of old people cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I too have had my share of paint drama. We painted a red accent wall in Vegas and the next morning when we woke up and looked into the living room at it we thought a masacre had taken place. Seriously! YIKES! We immediately went back to the store and bought primer to cover it up and a new color of red which was perfect.

    Can't wait to see pics as you update it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as it's not Kill Him Red. :-)

    I love the header! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda like picking out paint colors. Only once did I make a big boo-boo. I was going for a rustic brown but it totally came out burnt orange instead. I actually blame the cheap paint. Lime green was my riskiest move and I ended up totally loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!