Thursday, September 15, 2011

Joy

I’m joining in on 5 Minute Friday at The Gypsy Mama today-- you write for 5 minutes and then post whatever comes out, no editing allowed. Today’s topic is Joy.

I’ve always thought Joy was a beautiful name, but I never knew anyone with that name, until I got a job teaching. I was replacing a woman who went out on maternity leave, and her name was Joy.

Never had a person been blessed with a more apt name. She was truly joy personified. You could see it in her face, in the way she talked to her students, in the way she taught her lessons. She was a woman of God, that was clear, but you could tell that she took joy out of simply living.

I was no match for her. This was my first teaching job, I was young and inexperienced, and I in no way compare to Joy. The students saw through me on the first day, as I stumbled through grammar lessons and discussions about The Scarlet Letter. Who was this new teacher? She certainly was not Joy, she did not have joy.

I taught for 6 months. In the end, I realized that teaching did not bring me joy, even though that’s what I went to school to do. I’d rather do something that brought me Joy.

(I need to learn to type faster. I had so much more to say!)







Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, yes - this is the challenge of these 5 minute prompts...the need for FAST FINGERS! This is lovely, and I was happy to read it for lots of reasons. Most especially because my second daughter is named Joy and it is the perfect appellation for her, as well. I hope you have found something that brings you joy - that's what God wants for each of us, I'm convinced of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we pretend that you typed all that in a minute and a half? I want to hear the end of the story! :)

    Once upon a time I heard about a woman who "exuded the Holy Spirit -- you'd meet her and simply be surrounded with the welcoming presence of God." It kind of reminds me of your predecessor.

    Thanks for taking the time to write :). I hope you did indeed find something that brought you Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when people match up to their names. I once met a Nigerian lady called Joy when she came to study in Ireland - she took such joy in scripture. When it snowed she had never seen snow before - all the students ran and started having a snow ball fight she ran and got her bible - she cried and said now I know what it means when God says he will wash our sins as white as snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cool meme, and Joy sounds like a cool lady!

    I've come to realize that the only part of my job that brings me joy is when I get to teach people things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!