Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cali Gurlz

So, I picked up Bug from school the other day, and the way home, she was singing this song:

California girls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
Will melt your popsicle
Oh Oh Oh Oh Oooooh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oooooooh

Dude, she’s 5. I know the song (who doesn’t?) but we usually listen to the country station in the car.

“Bug, where did you learn that song?” I asked.

“At school. Ashley taught me,” Bug answered.

Hmmmph. I suddenly don’t care much for Ashley.

But really, it’s not Ashley’s fault. Not even her parents’, really. I blame society. Why are we so interested in rushing our children into growing up? These girls are in preschool. What happened to singing “The Wheels on the Bus?” Why aren’t they learning the alphabet and their numbers, instead of Katy Perry songs?

To be fair, Bug has gotten just about everything she can for preschool. She’s been their for three years, she could probably teach the classes herself by now. She used to love it there, but now she cries almost every morning when I drop her off at school. One night I picked her up and asked, “Why do you cry every morning when I drop you off? You know Mommy ALWAYS comes back for you, right? And if I don’t, Daddy does. And if Daddy can’t, Auntie Melissa (my girlfriend) comes. You’ve never had to spend the night at school, right? So, why do you cry?”

Bug gave me some song and dance about not wanting me to leave her.

“But Bug, you HAVE to listen to me. What are we going to do next year when you go to kindergarten? Are you going to cry every day then, too?”

“That’s different,” Bug said primly. “I’m excited to go to kindergarten. Preschool is boring.”

Can’t really argue with that logic.





Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

6 comments:

  1. it's good you have such a smartie. she will be singing lots of songs above her years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It scares me some of the songs and other bits of pop culture my 5-year-old nephew knows.

    I cry when I get bored too. ;-) I think she'll be just fine in kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little one told me the other day that a pirate was going to get my booty - said she heard that on a kid's show!

    She doesn't know that booty means treasure...she just knows it means bottom!

    Scary what's out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't argue with bug! Girl has got a point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son was recently singing S&M by Rihanna! Thank God those are his initials - so I told him it was about him!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!