Monday, May 2, 2011

A Proud Moment

Every year, my elementary school had a spelling bee. The winner would go to the district finals, then city, county, state…. And I assume eventually, the children would go to the super mammer jammer spelling bee that we see on tv now.

All of the students would gather in the cafeteria and the spelling bee would begin. Every student participated, although most were eliminated right away. I’ll be honest, I don’t remember a whole lot about the spelling bee during this particular year, but I do remember the words came fast and they were surprisingly easy.

Mouse
Govern
Portly
Antics
Direct

As time went on, there were fewer and fewer kids in each row. Suddenly, there was just me and one other girl.

Dual
Relent
Optic

Dude, I’ve got this.

And then, suddenly, a word I didn’t know: Fissure.

Fissure? To split? A narrow opening? Think, Lovely. F-I-S-H-E-R? No, too obvious.

And then, I remembered a boy in my Sunday school class with the same last name. That had to be it, right?

“F-I-S-C-H-E-R?”

Incorrect. The other girl won, and went on to have a mediocre finish in the all-district spelling bee.

I won second place.

I was in the first grade.

And I cried because I didn’t win first.

I went home and showed my second place ribbon to my mother. When she started crying, I thought at first it was because she was disappointed that I didn’t win. I later learned that she was crying because she didn’t get to see it.

Her little girl, her baby, her 6-year-old first grader, just won second place in a school- wide spelling bee. I beat out kids that were five years older that I was.

That turned out to be a pretty good day.







Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

12 comments:

  1. Not only should you be proud for winning second place you should also be proud that you remembered the words you had to spell in first grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Jessica's second comment about remembering the words! I couldn't remember them if my life depended on it. But I can recite the preamble to the consitution, all of my adverbs, and the first verse to the rhyme of the acient mariner. Strange the items you remeber. Props on winning, without spell check I don't think I would be employed I am such a bad speller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winning a school-wide spelling bee at age 6 is no small feat! Definitely a pretty good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Your mom is awesome. I have a memory of a spelling bee too. I was 13 (I think) and I got beat out by the word 'mystique'. Funny the things we remember :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! Check you out, beating those older kids. I don't remember any of that stuff from school, but I guess certain things do stand out - I can see how this would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. I would cry to if I missed my daughter's spelling. Your mama loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a moment to be proud of! And so sad that your mom missed it.

    I intentionally threw a spelling bee once in 6th grade because I didn't want to be up there in front of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a sweet tale that speaks loads of your mom and what a great kid you must have been. Great job on this!
    Came from TRDC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i got second place in the regional bee in 7th grade, i hear you loud and clear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother was never one to be generous with her praises... so I've always secretly wished for a mother who'd cry when I won something, just like your mom. A touching post about yourself, and also of your lovely mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 1st grade over the 5th graders... That's impressive! I don't care what the words were, that's just cool in elementary school. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!