Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Four Gifts at Christmas

I've talked about this before, but it's always a big hit at Christmas, so I figured I'd repeat it. :) 

For the last few years, we have adopted the following gift buying method for the children:






There are a couple of reasons for this. First, I'm not wealthy. I can't be spending hundreds of dollars on everything on their Christmas list. Plus, they get so much stuff from my parents that it's ridiculous. They still have stuff from their birthdays that they haven't opened yet.

But really, the whole point of Christmas is not about how much loot you can get, and we're trying to instill that into the children (my stepmother is making that extremely difficult). We spend a lot of time trying to show the children the true meaning of Christmas.

I should say that these are the presents from us. Santa also gives an additional ONE gift and he fills the Stockings. Santa typically gives the gift they want most of all. The whole family also gets to open one present on Christmas Eve: Christmas pj's, hot chocolate, and a new movie. 

So, what are the children getting?

Something they want: BK is getting a robotic dinosaur, Bug is getting another one of those Lego Friends sets. Luckily, their wants have not hit a huge level of expense yet.
Something they need: Bug is getting a CD alarm clock, BK is getting a wallet
Something to wear: Bug is getting a pair of skinny jeans, BK is getting normal boy jeans. .
Something to Read: Bug is getting the newest Dork Diaries book, BK is getting a picture book that The Agent picked out. 

BK is getting a remote control helicopter from Santa.... but Santa isn't sure what he's getting for Bug yet. She asked for 4 things, but  Grandma is getting her one and I'm vetoing the other three, so it's a little difficult. 

How do you handle gift giving with your children? Do you limit it to a number of gifts, or a dollar amount, or use the time to indulge?


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

2 comments:

  1. This year I am lacking in funds and so have warned Jamie gifts will be scarce. There was recently a sermon at church about abundance in experiences rather than possessions. Then you have the Anticipation of the experience, the experience itself plus the combined memory of the experience. I love that idea so I am considering Horse Back riding lessons for Jamie. They have a package of 5 lessons for $200 which is more than I planned to spend but I will spread them out over the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!