Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What can happen in a book store


(This is a repost. I post it every year at this time)

Once upon a time, 13 years ago, I was sitting at a table in front of Barnes and Noble, enjoying the nice weather and writing a letter to my grandmother, who was living at a convalescent hospital in Colorado. I was deep in thought, composing my next sentence in my head, when a man approached me. “My name is Bond,” he said. “Do you mind if I join you?”

I looked up, removed my sunglasses, and stared at him. Who was this yahoo? He was about my age, maybe a little older. He was tall and athletic, looking casual in his jeans and polo shirt. He did not look like a murdering rapist, so I figured I was safe, and told him he could sit. I told him my name was Lovely, and I was in the middle of writing a letter to my grandmother. He was at the bookstore in search of a cookbook.

We chatted for a bit, and then Bond said, “We’re having a nice conversation here. Would you like to have dinner with me?”

I considered for a bit. I was single, so I could certainly go out to dinner if I wanted. But seriously, who WAS this guy? Who does this? He seemed nice, but I’ve never had a total stranger ask me out to dinner before. He needed some sort of test. “Tell you what,” I said after a bit, “My father’s birthday is next week, and I need to buy him a present. If you go shopping with me now, I’ll go to dinner with you afterward.”

Bond agreed, and we drove to the mall together. I drove-- I was young and crazy, but not completely stupid. I wasn’t getting into a car with a stranger. He allowed me to chauffeur him across town to the mall, and he followed me around until I found something suitable: The Who CD box set. We discussed musical interests while I shopped. His all-time favorite band was AC/DC, mine was U2. I had been listening to Staind, Puddle of Mudd, and Nickelback lately, he was listening to Shania Twain.

He was nice and respectful and had a sense of humor. He was good looking and he seemed to think I was pretty. I was enjoying myself. I made my purchase and agreed to go to dinner with him. We went to an Italian place, great food, better company. I told him that I had just broken up with my boyfriend of two years about a month earlier. He revealed that he was recently divorced and had just started dating again.

It was still early after we finished dinner. “We’re having such a nice conversation,” he said. “would you like to go somewhere else?” I took a chance and told him we could go for a drive, as long as I was driving. Bond agreed and away we went. We drove out of town, into the mountains and back, talking all the way, about anything and everything.

We met at about 2 pm. I pulled back into the parking lot of Barnes and Noble at 10:30 pm. I drove Bond back to his truck and told him I had a nice day and it was nice meeting him. “It was nice meeting you too," he said. "Do you think I could have your phone number?”

He called me two days later. I haven’t been able to get rid of him since.

We got married in Hawaii, 3 years after the day we met.


Happy anniversary, Agent. 10 years married, 13 years together. I am so thankful I took a chance on you that day. You are my everything.



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!