Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Part One: Why are we moving?

So, I’ve mentioned several times that we bought a new house that we’re remodeling. But I don’t think I ever said WHY we are moving.

The Agent has been with his company for 21 years. He is the head design engineer for a company that designs machines and builds them for factories. Very nerdy, but he’s into that whole scene.

The company has been around for, I don’t know, probably 40 years. The home office is in Chicago, and the owner decided to close up shop here in California and have the engineering department be based in Chicago, closer to home office. The Agent was offered a position there, with a promise of a large raise. Sweet.

This was several years ago, before BK was born. And at first, we were prepared to move. Neither one of us have ever lived outside of California before, but we weren’t worried. We could always fly home to visit. I was looking forward to a new adventure. I told The Agent that it didn’t matter where we lived, as long as we were together. We were told that the move could be as soon as 6 months, as long as 5 years. That was fine. We could wait.

But then, life continued. We were blessed with BK. I got promoted (twice). We paid off both our cars. Bug got into an awesome kindergarten.

And then we got to thinking, do we even WANT to move to Illinois? Dude, it snows there. I’ve never even driven in snow before. And I wouldn’t know a single person there. And what if I couldn’t get a transfer? I carry all the benefits for the family, plus I have a 401(k) and a pension… that’s a lot to give up.

Did we really need to move? Did we really WANT to move?

(to be continued)


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read more.

    Last year, my husband I took a huge leap of faith and moved away from our awesome home and job so we could be closer to family. It was all worth it in the end, but definitely a struggle for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet you are glad to just stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live much closer to Illinois than California. Does that help? And yeah, it does snow here. Like, a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't realize this move went back that far. Now it makes so much more sense why you decided not to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!