Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Why I'm shopping for a new dentist

Ugh. I have dental issues.

I've been toying with the idea of getting braces for awhile now. I've always had relatively straight teeth, but then after I got pregnant, something funky happened. Now one of my front teeth pokes way out compared to other one. My son is constantly telling me that I have a loose tooth (I guess he thinks it's about to fall out???). Please don't take a close up picture of my smile.

So, I went to the dentist and said I wanted braces. They said they would be happy to take my money, but I needed to go to the periodontist first. I have bad gums, and it would be silly to spend a thousand dollars on straight teeth when they're going fall out of my bad gum head anyway.

So, I made an appointment with the periodontist. But then, I was eating a breakfast burrito, of all things, and I broke a tooth. Son of a--! So, I had to go to the dentist for a consult, and they recommended a crown. They said I could come in a month later, on the same same day as my periodontist appointment, and I could do everything all at once. My out of pocket would be $269.  Ugh. More than I care to give the dentist, but it couldn't be helped. And I was happy that I could do everything all at once.


link
A month went by. Then dentist called me yesterday, to confirm my appointment today. "I'll be there," I said. "What's my out of pocket again?"

The answer: $950.

Excuse me? That's total, right? Not my out of pocket?

Nope. My share was $950. And I have really good insurance.

I told the person on the phone that I was told the amount would be less than $300, is there a mistake?

No mistake. Please pay $950 at the door.

It's highway robbery to expect me to pay $950 on a tooth that you can't see and doesn't hurt. I cancelled the appointment for the crown and said that I would just go to the periodontist appointment.

"No, we cancelled that appointment so we could get your crown in. We have you listed on call in case there was time in his schedule, but he's booked pretty solid."

More yelling on my part, but there wasn't anything that could be done. I asked for the next available appointment with the periodontist.

July.

link

I told them they've lost their minds and hung up.

But at least I don't have to take a Xanax today.

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

6 comments:

  1. Ugh...irritating. Yes, I would definitely shop around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the dentist! It's the one place it seems you pay more for having insurance than if you don't. I do not understand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. boo! That is horrible but we are seeing more if it all the time. I have a friend that had to fire her pediatric dentist because he always recommended unncecessary scans and procedures. You really do have to question everything and be an advocate, which is sad that we can no longer trust. I know this isn't for all but again, it just seems to be happening more and more. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wondering what I should do about finding a new dentist. We were transferred across the country and I can barely find the supermarket let alone a decent dentist. There appears to be one at every corner in this busy city, unlike the one dentist who ran our small town. What advice can give people like me?

    Freddie Gray @ Ballantyne Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could really relate to your experience in your blog. My husband had some dental work done recently and the sticker shock from the original quote was significant. I guess dental insurance does not always count for much. We wish you the best of luck in finding a new dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you really have had it with that dentist. I don't understand why they took it upon themselves to cancel that appointment for you unless they were just saying that to get you in that chair and pay that $950. I think you’re right looking for a new dentist because it doesn't appear they have your best interest at heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!