Thursday, August 18, 2011

More conversations with Bug

We had to leave immediately.

“Bug, get your stuff, we have to go.” I'm always in a hurry to pick her up from the after school program. It's late, we still have to drive home, make dinner, help with homework, get the kids ready for bed…. There is just too much to do in a single day.

But the real reason I’m always rushing Bug is so we can get to the car. The 20 minutes it takes to drive from school to home is treasured. There are no interruptions, it’s just me and Bug. We can talk about her day, or really anything she wants, and she has my undivided attention.

“Mommy, you know how we were talking the other day about how babies grow in your tummy?”

Ugh, not this conversation again.

“Yes, Bug.”

“But how did the FIRST baby get here?”

Ummm….

“You know, the mommy must have been a baby, so she was born to a mommy, and that mommy had a mommy, how did it start?”

“Well Bug, people believe different things. A lot of people believe that God created the very first woman, she wasn’t born, she was made.”

“OK. What do other people believe?”

Ummm…

I didn’t study evolution. Something about monkeys? The missing link? How does she even come up with this stuff? She’s 5!

“Well, it doesn’t really matter where the first baby came from. The important thing is that it happened, and we should be so grateful, because everything that happened in the past made us who we are today.”

“Oh! So, if not for that first baby, we maybe wouldn’t be here?”

She’s so stinkin’ smart.

And then we realized we were already home.





Your assignment: 
You must begin your story with the words “We had to leave immediately” and end it with “And then we realized we were already home.” The middle part is up to you.



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

7 comments:

  1. Kids ask the darnedest things, don't they?! Good thing for curiosity. Whew!

    Visiting from Red Writing Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe the things they come up with. I love that it's still on her mind after how many days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! And amazing that they can ask questions that we really have no idea how to answer...

    Great job, by the way, of tying the first and last lines together. That's what I struggled with the most!

    Stopping by and following from WOE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That girl cracks me up. In about 15 years, I'm going to set her up with my nephew and they can be ridiculously smart and funny together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how they keep you on your toes. Just when you think you've sidestepped a landmine, they throw another grenade your way.

    I love how you tie your need to leave to emphasize the time you two have together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen the commercial that's out now? It's about the chicken and the egg and which came first. Totally made me think of you all. What does it say about my level of smarts if I've never asked or even considered this question of hers? I can't believe I admitted that openly!

    You've got one smart cookie there! I'd say she's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great meme. I love your story!!! You did a great job of explaining a very complicated topic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!