Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The (last) Name Game

When planning my wedding with The Agent, there was talk about whether or not I would change my last name. I was all for the name change. I am a traditionalist when it comes to marriage and family, it never occurred to me to do otherwise. It just made sense to me. I wanted to have the same last name as my husband and children. My maiden name is fairly common, there’s no guess work regarding the pronunciation, and I really dreamed of a name less… boring (don’t tell my dad I said this. Smith* is an awesome last name).

The Agent wanted to take my last name. He has a less common, harder to pronounce name, he always wanted a simpler last name, and since he has no contact with his father, there was nothing keeping him from changing his name. He dreamed of changing his name from Fitzgidoenblatz** to Conner***.

But here’s the thing about The Agent. I KNEW he wouldn’t change his name. Yeah, right. Like he would go to the social security office, to the dmv, to the bank. And even if he did change his name, would his friends and colleagues suddenly start calling him Agent Jones****? Not likely.

So we got married, and I changed my name. Bliss.

And then I got pregnant.

When we were thinking of names for Bug, we quickly realized that there is a shortage of names that sound good with the last name of Hoffenschwartz*****.

The Agent used this dilemma to harp on me every two seconds about my decision to change my name. “See? If you had let me change my name to Ford******, we would be able to find a name for the baby just fine. And your dad would have been happy, too”

Probably. But Bug Flappenpusch******* has a nice ring, also.

* Not my last name.
** Not my last name, either.
*** Still not my last name.
**** What do you think?
***** Are you getting the idea now?
****** You WISH this was my last name.
******* This actually is my last name. Not.




10 comments:

  1. Chris has a short but totally lame last name. I had a little longer last name but unique. I SOOOOOO tried to get him to change his name to mine but he was in the air force and wouldn't do. ugh. it was soooo hard to find a name for the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I was the one with a last name that caused insanity at any place it required it to be said...so when I met my husband I was totally excited to take his last name..a very simple last name or so I thought! HMPH! Nope, it is mistaken more often than my other name ever was. People are stupid. Really it's such a easy name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last name was very common and impossible to mess up, but I'm a traditionalist too so I changed it for my husband's ALWAYS mispronounced German last name. Hey, at least it weeds out the telemarketers!

    p.s. My sister also changed to a weird last name that no one ever gets right. My dad can't even spell our last names-he always asks us why we couldn't have married a Smith or Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dated a guy with a HORRIBLE last name. When I learned his last name, I almost stopped dating him because I couldn't imagine having that last name for life! But I got a good last name when I finally did marry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so funny! I just found you from SITS and I love your cute blog and the way you write ! I am now following you and it would be so awesome if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    Oh and just a heads up, today is the first day of our Show Yo' Flow Campaign, so stop by to see the interview with Tiffany and maybe snag one of the awesome prizes she has for our readers! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, this is so funny! I didnt change my name, and I find I get a lot of comment by people who are surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My maiden name is Hungarian and my husband's is English. I was sure when I changed it all of my name mispronunciations had ended. You'd be amazed.

    I actually know a guy who took his wife's name. His name really was Smith and hers was a cool Swedish name. Her father had no sons and the name was about to end, so he changed his name. (Don't tell your hubby that.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone with an alphabet soup last name (11 letters to be exact) with lots of vowels that never get pronounced right, I envy those who have simple last names. BTW, to add insult to injury my parents gave me a first name with a unique spelling... life is tough sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always just assumed I would change my last name if and when I get married. But now...I don't know. What if I start getting book deals and stuff before I get married. Changing my name will seem like such a hassle.

    But seriously. How boring is Karen Peterson. Zzzzzz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!