Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am beauty, I am grace

I am not graceful. I fall a lot.

When I was a teacher, my classroom was on the second floor. I was rushing downstairs one day so I could run an errand during lunch, and fell down the stairs. Initially, only one boy saw me. “Miss Connor, are you ok?” he asked. I said yes, as I tried to stand up and compose myself and pull down my dress. Then the boy yelled down the hall, “Hey, everyone! Miss Connor just fell!” And WHOOSH! No less than 412 high school kids were in the stairwell, trying to get a glimpse of their nerdy English teacher on the ground.

Last summer we all went to the park for a picnic, and I was teaching Bug to fly a kite. I suddenly yelled out a RAH! and started running… and fell flat on my face. I thought I had tripped over a sprinkler head, but Bug looked all around and didn’t see anything. I am lucky enough that The Agent happened to be filming this entire event. When he’s upset and needs to be cheered up, he watches the video and gets a big laugh.

I have stubbed (Broken? Sprained?) my pinkie toes several times on our door jams-- to the point that my toes were turned black and blue and I had to wear flip flops for the next several days. The first time it happened was when The Agent was chasing me down the hall and I crash landed into BK’s doorway. I got a bit of attention from that because I ended up going to the doctor to make sure my toe wasn’t broken, and I had to explain exactly why my husband was chasing me (he was planning on having his way with me once I was caught. I know, TMI. The doctor thought so, too). But this is a repeated event that has ultimately perplexed The Agent. “Why don’t you just walk down the middle of the hall?” he asks each time he finds me on ground. “Is our hallway getting narrower?”

Don’t judge me.

I’ve been trying to convince The Agent that we need to rip out our carpet and install hardwood flooring. He doesn’t want to do it, because he thinks it will hurt the kids to much if they fall. “What are you talking about?” I demanded. “Bug is 4, BK is 18 months. They both have been walking for awhile now. They’re not going to fall. Let’s get us some hardw--”

At that moment, Bug came running down the hall. She was maybe 6 feet away from us when she tripped and fell flat on her face. Tripped on what? I have no idea. Air maybe?

She gets her grace from her momma.

Mama's Losin' It

5 comments:

  1. So... maybe ballet is out? It's boring anyways, right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again we have this in common you and I. I have been known to just be standing still and have my ankles give out only to be on the ground in the next second. I've also fallen down the steps as I was getting off the school bus my Freshman year of HS. Tell me that's not COOL! HA! I believe you read my most embarrassing moments from my canoe trip and first day of work at Taco Hell. If not I'll send them to you. I've been a clutz for as long as I can remember. I feel your pain sister! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was the only one that trips on thin air! Love it!

    Stopping by from Mama Kats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things jump out and bite me, causing me to fall even when I am standing perfectly still. (The couch is the most recent perpetrator.)

    Grace is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we must be related. I could be ten feet away from some sort of tripping hazard and I'll still manage to trip over it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!