Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Not so social butterfly

I'm a little worried about my baby Bug.

She's a smart kid. She doesn't have to work very hard to excel in school. And she's creative-- she's always thinking of little stories to write.

I'm more worried about the social aspect of school.

We are going to my parents house during the day on Halloween, to celebrate my brother's birthday. I told Bug that we could leave early so that one of the girls could come over and go trick or treating with us, and then spend the night.  Bug said she would rather stay longer with Grandma and Grandpa.

"What about trick or treating? I asked.

"Can't BK and I go trick or treating with Grandma and Grandpa in their neighborhood?"

Well, yeah. And my parents were excited that she was picking them over a friend from school. But is that normal? She's 9 years old. We see my parents all the time. Shouldn't she WANT to spend more time with friends?

The other day, I picked the kids up from school and asked Bug,  "who did you play with today?"

"No one. I just sat and read my book on the bench during recess."

Really?

This guy would be the perfect friend for her-- they could read and discuss.

I know it's awesome that she's a reader. But to socially alienate herself from others at this age.... I'm worried that she's in for some tough times ahead, especially when she gets to middle school.

What do you think? I get that this really isn't that big of a deal, but I'd like to get her to be a bit more social. Suggestions?


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

3 comments:

  1. I would talk to her teacher. I bet she's more social than you realize. Her teacher sees her interactions on a daily basis and can let you know if they seem out of the ordinary. I don't think it's odd to choose Grandma over a friend...I think my kids would do the same. But if she is reading on the bench instead of enjoying recess, that's unusual. If she is an introvert, she will very possibly grow out of it. My second son is like that. He's a Freshman this year and has a really tight group of friends. They hooked up early in middle school and have stayed close. He definitely has never been social. Give it time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was like this as a kid. Still am to this day, I guess. I never went through that 'embarrassed of my parents' phase, always would rather read over doing anything else...so long as she's content, I don't see it as a bad thing. I never had any problems with other kids, I had friends, I was just an introvert who needed my alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I'm not sure if it's something to worry about just yet. Many people are introverted (which is not a bad thing) and need their own time to most effectively deal with daily responsibilities. As long as she's not being bullied or really lacking in social skills, it could even just be a phase. It's something I'd keep an eye on, but not worry about just yet, you know? I'd also ask the teacher to keep an eye on her for a while, just so you can get a more complete picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!