Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Graduation Dance


8th grade was a LONG time ago-- I was the 8th grade class of 1988. And in 8th grade, I had a major crush on Donald Davis. I'm not sure why-- he wasn't particularly cute. But he was nice and he was taller than I was, so that was a big plus in my book. 

In May, about a month before 8th grade graduation, Donald called me, and asked me to be his date to the 8th grade graduation dance. What the WHAT? He wants to go out? On a date? With Me?Awesome! I said yes, and reveled in my certainty that I would one day be called Mrs. Donald Davis. 

The next day at school, my girlfriend Janet bounced up to me. "Soooo..... did Donald Davis ask you out?"

My perma-grin probably gave me away. Good news really gets around!
"You know, that happened because of me," she said. 

Janet went on to explain that Donald had called her earlier in the evening to ask her to the dance. She declined, but said, "Why don't you ask Lovely? I hear she likes you."

That wiped the perma-grin off of my face a bit. I didn't really want to be sloppy seconds. But oh well! I had a date! 

Except NONE of my other friends had dates. They were all going to the dance together, a big girlfest.  And I was going to be stuck with Donald.... who was starting to really look like a nerd, now that I've opened my eyes. And what if he expected me to DANCE with him? Then I would be known as the girl who danced with Donald Davis! Unacceptable!

I was beginning to dread 8th grade graduation. 

Graduation day arrived. I thought I looked great in my dress from Gunne Sax.... and then I saw  Donald in a white tuxedo. With tails. 

I was mortified. All the other boys were wearing sports jackets and ties.... no one else was in a tux. 

I couldn't go to the dance with him. 

I told him I wasn't feeling well, and I convinced him to call him mom to drive me home. 

Two days later, there was a knock on my door. It was Donald, of course. With a letter: 

Dear Lovely, 
How are you? I'm fine. I was just watching the movie Some Kind of Wonderful and I started thinking of you. Right then, at that moment, I started thinking about how I wanted to hold you in my arms forever, and I still do. 
Well, now you know how I feel about you, but I still don't know how you feel about me. If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could let me know? Call me at 555-1234. Thanks! 
Love you always, Donald


I never called..... But I did write him a return letter: 

Dear Donald, 
I have given it a lot of thought, and I've come to the conclusion that you are a nerd. Have a nice summer! 
~Lovely

That was our last conversation for the next 6 years (we became friends again briefly after high school.... but that's another story!) 


Mama’s Losin’ It


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

1 comment:

  1. Oh we're definitely going to need to hear about the after high school friendship! Did you two ever discuss that dance?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!