Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dilemma

You wanna know a secret?

We're thinking about moving.

We've actually been thinking about it for like two years now. Longer than BK's been alive, we've been thinking about it. The Agent's headquarters are moving to Illinois, and we have to either move there, or get out of the business. We've known this was coming for awhile now, and it looks like the end is near. His company wants The Agent to move in July, with me and the kids following by October.

We've lived in California all our lives. Our families live in California. I enjoy the sun. I have no idea how to drive in the snow.

We own a home in California. Well, a bank owns it, we make payments to the bank, and they let us stay there in exchange. It is worth approximately $100,000 less than what we paid for it 8 years ago. Friggin' California. We can't sell it, or even rent it out, without taking a huge loss. We would have to find a place to live in Illinois, even if it's a rental, and paying for two houses every month would be very difficult. It seems that houses in Illinois are not experiencing the decrease in value that we have to deal with here, and a comparable home will cost what we originally paid for our California home. It is likely that we would eventually lose our home in California.

There are no jobs in California. We hear every day on the news that we are living in a dead state. We thank our stars every day that we both have well paying jobs. But if we don't move, The Agent will be jobless, with no prospects of finding a new job. I don't know that we could pay the mortgage, along with all our other bills, on just my salary. It is likely that we would lose the house eventually, even if we stay here.

Would I rather be homeless in Sunny California, or the Windy City? Hmmm.... no brainer. At least I'll be tan here.

If we move, I might be able to transfer, if there's an opening. There is an office that's within 30 minutes of The Agent's new office, so it is possible. I don't know if they need anyone, and with my recent career drama a couple months ago, I don't know if I'd even get a recommendation (although that was something from personal life that drifted into my work life.... it didn't in any way affect how I performed my job, so jury's still out on that).

We have warned my father and stepmother that this was coming, and they were understandably very upset. They do not want us to move. They said that family is the most important thing, we must always stay near the family, everything else will be ok as long as you have your family around you.

(I haven't told my mother yet, that would straight send her off the deep end)

The Agent does not want to move. He likes our house, he likes the town that we live in, dead that it is. He doesn't like the snow. He doesn't expect that he will like the requirements of the new job (he will have to do more off all the stuff he likes least, and less of all the things he likes about his job.) He would rather stick it out here. He can be a stay at home dad for two years and we would be ok on the income he could take in from unemployment.

The max on unemployment, I believe, is 90 weeks. So what happens after that?

I don't want to move. Moving is a pain. Everything we know is here, and change is scary. But here's the thing:

The man I'm married to must have a job.

Do you have any idea how upset I will be every single morning when I get up to go to work and he rolls over to go back to sleep? Or when I come home from a hard day at work and find that there's dishes in the sink, laundry on the couch, and the kids are still in their pajamas? Or if I refrain from buying a sweater but then I see that there's a 12-pack of beer in the fridge? Oh, no. That doesn't work for me. You gotta have a J-O-B if you wanna be with me.

And I'm not even saying it will be his fault. He'll look for another job, I'm sure. But he's been an Agent for 20 years. That's all he knows. And his field is very specialized. It's not like my job, where I could apply at one of 40 different companies, and work in one of a hundred different offices. No, there's like maybe 3 other companies who need someone like The Agent. In the whole country. And what is he going to do? Go from being a CIA agent to having some.... I don't know, some REGULAR job? He would never be happy with that.

So, I am in favor of moving. He keeps his job, I can get a transfer or go to work for a competitor, we make new friends, I would know that my parents would definitely call first before popping over. Everyone's happy.

Well, except for my parents. And The Agent. And the kids probably wouldn't be too thrilled. And it would probably be cruel to even take the cat.

Sigh. I don't know.



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

14 comments:

  1. I moved oodles of times growing up. Seriously...more than most military families in the neighborhood. And I started in California, up the west coast, over to NY, and back to CA. I honnestly think I'm all moved out now, as an adult with my own little fam. But, here's the wee bit o' encouragement: I think I gained something from all those moves as a kidlet. I became very adaptable, able to make new friends easily, and experience the MANY cultures that are here in one country (and I don't even mean strong cultures from families living in other nations before coming here...I mean, the Northeast is Very different than the West Coast or the South or the Midwest). So, if you do have to move, hang in there and always have a Sharpie on hand (and lots o' patience!).

    Thanks for stopping by...I forgot about the apple stem, thanks for the sweet memory reminder! :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong cultures? What the heck does that mean? I wrote it & I don't even know! What I was trying to say is cultural traditions carried on while living here in this country, stemming from families growing & living originally in other countries. I was thinking about my best friend in NY and all the great cultural experiences I had at her house from her families time in India. :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Karen above, I've moved my entire life. I don't know what it's like to live in one place for longer than 3 years. As a matter of fact Bird and I are going nuts over the fact that we aren't moving as it's a lifestyle we've grown comfortable with. Staying in one spot is going to be hard.

    That said, I know you can do this. We have gone through what you are now. We own a home in Vegas that's upside down by more than 165K but we've been able to keep renters in it. They don't pay the entire morgage but they pay enough to allow us to rent a home here. I would be happy to talk to you about if you would like. I know this is all scary and overwhelming. Hang in there! I'll be praying for you all and this LIFE CHANGING DECISION.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had the "good"fortune to be able to move several time in my married life, halfway across the country too. I did not think it would be good at first, but you know, it was really a great thing that happened.
    I was able to experience things that I never would have had the chance to in a different part of the country, and then we "moved" again, to another entirely different part of the country, but it turns out that we bought the house, were waiting for the former owners to move and then we got transfered again, of all places, back home before we could even move in!
    God doesn't give you what you can't handle, although when you are first going through it you're not sure you are going to manage!
    Family is family, they will always be there, even if it means the inconvenience of traveling more- Skype is great and a miracle when you are feeling lonely. Don't worry and don't stress.Tell everyone to get a good attitude, it makes all the difference.
    Glad to meet you traveling by through the weekend SITS posts. I'm the gal who posted after you! Keep the Faith. It will all work out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stopping by from SITS and had to tell you that I do not envy your decision. I had to choose to move to the other end of town and that was tough on me and my kids. (For the record, the neurotic dog was the least upset of us all!)

    Best of luck on your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving is scary but awesome too! We have moved 7 times in the last 13 years....5 different states, and 2 different countries. Every time I move it is hard and crazy and I miss everything, but it always works out. I can't imagine not knowing the people I have met and not seeing the places I have seen....all because we moved. Best wishes! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even imagine your stress right now as you try to weigh all this out! I will put in a bid for the Windy City. It's pretty darn great there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not envying your decision, but think that moving (even if it's just until the economy picks back up), is not a bad thing.

    And The Agent having a job - even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not envy your situation! I know it will work out no matter what! Good news is you would move when its warm vs right now in the dead of winter! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in the same 20-mile radius the first 30+ years of my life. It was scary when we moved and my parents were upset we were moving the kids farther away from them. But it was the best decision of our lives, and when we visited my parents or vice-versa, it was a quality of time we would never have experienced if we had stayed put. It's scary, but think of it as an adventure! And please don't leave the cat behind! Good luck whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man - decisions decisions. I can not imagine that thinking that's going on at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a tough one. It seems like a question with no right answer. I think moving would be quite the adventure though, and who doesn't love an good adventure?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have moved bunches, 3 different High schools and then about every 6 months in college. The kiddos will be fine, they might have a few rough weeks but it will all settle out. As far as the costs, the overall cost of living in IL is cheaper than CA. I would suggest talking with the HUbs company and see if they have a moving program to help with the selling/renting of the house (I know some companies willl even buy it from their employees if it doesn't sell in a certain amount of days). Moving=lots of stress but think of the upside, you have a whole new pallet to work with decor wise and that is always entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At the first flakes of snow the kids will be all over it. Kids are adaptable. They'll be happy just to be with you.

    And at least Illinois has a bona fide international airport. When the weather doesn't shut it down. Getting back home to visit family won't be hard.

    I understand all the reasons for wanting to stay, but maybe this is the start of a great new adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!