Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Letter to Bug

(Did you enter my first blog contest? Go here to enter!) 

Dear Bug,

You’re about to turn 5, but I know I’ll blink my eyes and 8 will flash by and suddenly you’ll be 13. I want to tell you a few things about being 13 that Grandma never told me. And stuff that your dad won’t get. If he’s even still alive by then. There’s every possibility that I will have killed him by now.

Clothes are important when you’re a teenager. Mom may or may not have the ducketts to buy you the latest pair of $200 jeans, but luckily there’s E-Bay. Remind me that I bought my first $100 jeans from Ebay for only $18. I hope I’m still wearing them when you read this.

You need to get involved in something. Ballet, cheerleading, sports, band, chess club, whatever. Find something that you love and be passionate about. When you were 5, you loved to draw. I would love you to play piano. Daddy is hoping you take an interest in golf. School is important, yet. But the grades aren’t enough. You need to make a mark, Baby Girl.

Mommy and Daddy were both very shy in school. We know already that you’re not going to be like that. You’re already such a social butterfly. I know that we have a future of many parties, dates, and girlhood drama ahead of us. Here are a few things to remember: girls are mean to each other. I’m mean to others, girls will be mean to you, and I think that even you’ll men to other girls. Try to remember that when the cattiness starts. Don’t take anything personally. Treat others like you want to be treated. Not everyone will want to be your friend, even if they act like it.

You don’t need to date every boy who asks you out. Be friendly, be polite, but be choosy. Remember that Daddy and I will want to meet every boy you want to go out with, and if we don’t like him, you won’t like life. Remember that a boy who doesn’t respect you, who doesn’t treat you like a princess, is not welcome in my house.

You will apply for every single scholarship that you even remotely qualify for. You will go away to college. You will spend the first year of college becoming a woman. Use your head, Baby Girl. You’re smart, so act like it.

The important piece of advice I can give you is this: don’t ever let anyone try to turn you into someone you’re not. Plenty will try-- boys, girls, probably even me and Daddy. Don’t lose sight of who you are. Be true to yourself.

Love you forever,
Mommy

PS- I hope your cowlick has relaxed by the time you become a teenager, but if it hasn’t… maybe it’s time to wear your hair curly.

Mama's Losin' It

11 comments:

  1. Good advice...too bad kids don't listen to that sort of thing.

    Some lessons just need to be learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. My daughter just turned five last month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute letter! All of the advice is so true. I think those are lessons that need to be lived to be understood!
    Stopped by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a letter like this for both of my sons and gave it to them when they turned 10. I'll do the same for my daughter. I REALLY wish my own mother would have been so open with me... I had to learn a lot on my own.

    Found you from Mama Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your letter! It is all so, so true! And you know, she may roll her eyes at some of the stuff in your letter when she's 13, but when she gets into her 20's, she'll realize it all makes sense and comes from your love for her.

    Saying hi via MamaKat's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet and honest letter. Ugh, I don't want our little ones to grow up. Heck, Yaya is going to be 5 this year and it kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed from Mama Kats. This was a GREAT post. Very heartfelt and funny at the same time. I was going to do this one, but chose a different one. I think I may put up a post on this topic as well.. who knows.

    Keep up the great writing. Look forward to seeing your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw i love this..now i need to go write one for my daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good... I hopeh that I have a daughter one day to write a letter to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice!! So true about girls being mean to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great letter. And girls are mean to each other

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!