Monday, July 13, 2015

Weekend Update-- I Fail as a Parent

It was a hard week, and a hard weekend. The Agent was away all week for work, and I had to handle everything on my own. Everything tends to go to poop when The Agent is gone.

Things were actually going ok until Thursday. I got a call from the day camp that the kids are going to and was told that I had to pick up BK, and he was suspended for the rest  of the week.

Suspended. From Church camp.

It actually could have been a lot worse. It seems that BK and three or four others were chasing a lizard around outside , trying to catch it. The poor lizard tried to escape by crawling through the air conditioner vent, so BK and the other boys kicked in the vent trying to get the lizard out. They destroyed the vent with their kicking, so all the boys were suspended.

I understood that this is unacceptable behavior and BK needed to be punished, but I thought a two day suspension was rather extreme. Where were the adults? He's only six, he needs to be supervised. If I thought he didn't need supervision, I would just leave him at home!

So, I had to work from home on Thursday. But it's hard to work from home with a little boy, especially when he's being punished so it's not like he can play outside or watch a movie or anything. So I was able to call his old daycare she agreed to watch him on Friday.

Man The Agent wasn't happy about that. It's FUN at the daycare. So, it's like he's getting rewarded but making the wrong choice, but what else could I do? The Agent was gone, I don't have any other family in town, and I couldn't work from home again.

On Saturday, I decided that we were going to start fresh, and we had a great day. We went to park for a picnic, the kids played, and it was just a great day.

picnic in the park


And then that day ended.

On Sunday, I found a candy wrapper in BK's bedroom. It turns out that he had swiped a piece of chocolate without asking, and then lied about it. This was devastating for me. Bug had accused BK of stealing a piece of her candy, and I defended him, saying that there was NO WAY he took a piece of candy. But the worse part? He took it on Thursday afternoon, the same day he had gotten in trouble at camp. So the whole day he was in trouble at home. The whole day, I was harping on him on how he needs to make better decisions. The whole day, I was telling him that because of the choices he made, he has to pay the consequences.

After all that, and he STILL took the candy without asking, and then lied about it when questioned. It didn't sink in AT ALL. #ParentingFail

He spent the entire day on Sunday in his room.... after I removed every toy he owns.

Here's hoping that next week will be better!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!