Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tales of a high school spaz

The Topic: 
Something embarrassing that happened at school.

Mama’s Losin’ It

I’m kind of a spaz, so I have no shortage of embarrassing anecdotes. Most involve me making a fool of myself over a boy.

This is the story of Bill.

I met him on the first day of school my freshman year. He was in the orchestra with me-- he played the sax, I played the clarinet. He was tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and he was a football star. He was, in short, a Dreamsicle.

I crushed on Bill all through fall semester. I dreamed about him during band class every day. I doodled his name in my notebooks. I wanted him to be mine.

The problem was, I was a nerdy freshman, and he was a cool junior. I was shy, so there was no way I could actually tell him how I felt. Ah, but I was a writer. I wrote Bill a letter, a beautiful letter, telling him exactly how I felt, how I longed to have him hold me in his arms, and how I prayed that he felt the same way.

I gave the note to Bill at the end of band practice. “Here’s a quick letter of some things I’ve been thinking about,” I told him. “Read it when you have time.” Then I walked out of the band room and waited for Bill to call.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Three days later, my best friend pulled me aside. “Lovely, I have to tell you something,” she said. “April told me you gave a letter to Bill, telling him that you loved him.”

I was shocked. April didn‘t even know Bill. She wasn‘t in the orchestra. “April told you that? But… how did she know?”

There was a pause. “Corey told her. Corey found out from Jodi, who found out from Sarah…. Sarah found the letter on the floor of the band room.”

Oh, no. No. Nononononononono………

I was pretty sure I was going to be sick. The ENTIRE school knew. Oh, God.

I found out that Bill read my secret yearnings and promptly dropped it on the floor. It was picked up, read, and dropped by at least four other people before Sarah picked it up. Sarah was on cheerleading squad, and told the rest of the team, including Jodi. Jodi told her boyfriend Corey (and the rest of the football team who she was messing around with on the side). Corey was April’s math tutor, and he told her while taking a break from algebra or geometry or whatever April was failing. And then, finally, it got back to me.

And then I begged my mother to let me switch schools.


Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

14 comments:

  1. How mean of Bill to just drop your letter like that. I hope your crush on him disappeared after this event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I guess the silver lining is that nowadays it would have been posted all over facebook. :)

    Stopped by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh....our post our so much a like. What is it with stupid boys?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!

    That is exactly why I never put anything in writing. Even to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that really stinks! So did you get to switch schools? Growing up is HARD!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely HATED high school because of situations like that! I seriously dread it with my kiddos!

    So, I'm guessing they didn't let you switch schools. Bet that made it incredibly hard each day to actually go to class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no. that's so sad. being a lovesick teenager sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My! How embarrassing! I would never have been brave enough to give a note like that to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh.. you poor dear. That is awful! Did your Mom let you switch schools? It's amazing how one person tells another and so on and so on all because Bill didn't have the decency to at least throw the paper away. I could totally see myself writing a love letter (in fact I think I did, the guy liked me, but then we kissed and it was awful! LOL Console yourself.. I bet Bill was a horrible kisser!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang on, there is another reason he could have dropped it.

    He dropped it because he was so stunned and couldn't believe that anyone as lovely as you would even come close to liking him!
    That's why he dropped it!

    (hey, it's a thought....) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This had to be absolutely mortifying. I am so impressed that you can put it down in print here. Hope that sucks the power right out of any embarrassment or hurt that might still have been lingering. You are a brave one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... that story just knocked all the air out of my lungs... boys are such dicks sometimes!

    Thanks for blessing my page. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet it was awful at the time, but you lived through it and have a great story to tell! Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. UGH! I do not miss those days of HS not one bit. Reading your post brought back several of my own "moments" I wished I could take back and change from those days. I wonder if Bill is kicking himself now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!