Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Power of Prayer

Friday was a good day in the Lovely Household. Bug got in to kindergarten.

Not just any kindergarten. THE kindergarten.

I wish I could say that we got in because of her brilliance, or even because I knew the right people, or because I paid someone off. But no, the schools are based on a lottery system. You apply, and they raffle off the spots. On the day of the lottery, my stepmother and I were present at my favorite school, and my father and The Agent were hearing the names called at his favorite school.

Here’s the story for my favorite school:

There are three kindergarten classes, with 22 children in each class. Siblings and children of employees get priority, and this year, that meant 24 spots were already filled, leaving only 42 spots before the lottery even started.

There were 302 applicants. Not the greatest odds.

My stepmother and I were one of 16 people present when the names were called. That in itself I found weird. 300 applicants and only 16 bothered to show up to see if they got in? I grumbled to my stepmother that I should get an extra entry for taking a day off work to show up.

Promptly at 9 am, they started calling names. The names were called quick, with no delay in between. A set of twins were called-- two spots taken at once (I might have dropped an F bomb at that point). A lot of boys were called, hardly any girls. C’mon, c’mon. Pick a girl’s name already, and let it be Bug’s.

At 30 names, and I was beginning to lose hope. Only 12 chances left. My stepmother said a prayer to her dead grandmother. “Grandma, you never got to meet Bug, but I know you’re watching over us. Reach your hand in and pull out Bug’s name.”

Bug was called at number 33.

Thank you, Grandma Alice.

Of course, I made a fool of myself and started crying. I was the only one who showed up to the lottery and whose child got in, and I‘m sure that made me seem like a total ass. I’m going to be known all next year as the mom who cried at the lottery. The principal even pulled me aside afterwards and gave me a hug. “I’m so glad you got in,” she said to me. “I saw you looking so nervous in the front row before the lottery and I was thinking it was going to break your heart if you didn’t get in.”

Why, yes. Yes it would. Good thing it didn’t come to that.

(Oh, and about the Agent’s first pick…. Well, she wasn’t so lucky there: 298 applicants, she was pulled at 293. Eh. Can’t win ‘em all!)



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

2 comments:

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!