Saturday, December 18, 2010

Prima Ballerina

We started Bug in ballet this year, and she had her first dance recital last week. We almost didn't make it on stage. What a mess. The recital was at a huge auditorium at our local college, and it was packed full. The Agent and BK went to go sit in the audience with the seven other family and friends that came to see Bug perform, and I went to take out little ballerina to where the dancers were meeting.

The usher checked his list and told me to take Bug to section 2, where at least 30 other 4-year-olds were sitting. "Do I go with her?" I asked. The usher said no, parents were not allowed with the dancers. Umm... OK. Bug went to sit between two other little dancers, and she seemed fine. "OK Baby. I love you, be good." I went to go sit with the rest of the family.

It was still  a good 20 minutes before the start of the show, and I was chatting with my stepmother when I happened to look across the auditorium and saw a little girl in her little leotard, climbing up the stairs to the empty balcony level by herself.

"Look at that little girl up there," I said. "No one's watching her. That poor kid's going to get hurt. Wait a minute... is that Bug? Oh my God! What is she doing up there!" I got up from my seat and started running across the packed theater, pushing people out of the way and screaming Bug's name. "Bug! BUG!" She couldn't hear me over the crowd, and kept climbing up the stairs. As I got closer, I could see that she was crying. "Bug, stop! STOP!" I was almost crying myself, panicked that I was going to lose sight of her, when she finally turned around and saw me. We ran to each other, and I wrapped Bug in my arms. "Bug, what were you doing? You never leave by yourself, do you understand? NEVER!"

"Mommy, I wanted you," Bug sobbed. "I couldn't find you."

"Bug, you NEVER walk away like that! What if I hadn't seen you? What if I lost you? What if someone took you? Never never NEVER walk away like that!"

I was relieved that Bug was ok, but I was livid. If you tell me I'm not allowed to be with my kid, you damn well better make sure someone is watching her. I took Bug by the hand and marched back downstairs to where the other 4-year-olds were. "Who's in charge here?" I demanded.

A woman older than my grandmother spoke up. "I am," she replied. "Call me Grandma Vera."

"Well... Vera," I said. "You're watching the kids? Then why is it that I found my kid at the top of those stairs? You're not watching them! You can't let these kids out of your sight!"

"W-well, I'm w-watching them now," Vera stammered.

"I frankly don't care about these other kids. I care about my kid." I put Bug's hand into Vera's. "You will not let my child out of your sight. When you sit down, she's going on your lap. You don't even blink without grabbing her hand first. Are we clear?"

Vera said yes. I felt a little bad for going off on her when she was clearly a volunteer, but maybe they should get someone less than 90 to watch 30 4-year-olds.

OK, I had dealt with Vera, but Bug did not want to go back with the other kids. "Mommy, I want to be with you," she cried.

"Baby, I can't sit with you, and if you sit with me, you won't be able to dance. Everyone came to see you, don't you want to dance on stage?"

Bug said she did, but she still looked doubtful, and she hadn't stopped crying yet. I was pretty sure our friends and family just paid $12 a ticket for nothing.

Just then, my best friend Vanessa walked in. Ah, Vanessa. Always late to the party. "Hi, Bug!" she said happily. "I came to see you dance! Did I miss it?"

"No," Bug sniffed.

"Oh, thank goodness! Because I brought a flower for you!"

Bug immediately brightened up. "A flower for me?" Bug asked hopefully.

"Yep! But you can't have it until after you dance. If you dance really really well, you'll get your flower. Your show is about to start, right? So Mommy and I better sit down so we don't miss it."

Oh, Vanessa. How I love you.

So, Bug happily sat next to Grandma Vera, and Vanessa and I sat in the audience. I don't want to brag, but Bug was the best dancer there.

By far.

After the show, Bug got a rose  from Vanessa, as promised. She also got a dozen tulips from me and The Agent, but I could have saved my money for as much as she cared about those. She shoved her rose in everyone's face and shouted "smell my rose!" to anyone who would listen. And when she saw the older dancers with their bouquets, Bug happily said to them, "Look! I have one, too!"

She was so cute.





6 comments:

  1. Wow, I would have freaked too! Poor Bug. So glad Vanessa was able to save the day. Bug is TOO cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww to cute. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the scare though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! And you're right, best by far!! I'm glad she was able to dry her tears and go on...yippee Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would have totally flipped out too! how scary. she did a great job and knew all of her choreography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely no mommy bias there. She really is the best one.

    I can't believe no one noticed her taking off by herself!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!