Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Yes, I had a gain last week. We're not going to dwell on that. Let's talk more about running.

I am not a runner. There's nothing even remotely fun about it. But it's such good exercise, and I WANT to love it, and I want my kids to love it. So we decided to give running a try.

The first day, I "ran" a mile in 16 minutes. The next day, I didn't run at all, but I walked the mile fast than I ran it the day before. Yes, I am an extremely slow runner. After that, I sat on the couch.

But "running" two days a week isn't bad.  I figure that's a starting point. I just need to work on it not hurting so much.

Yes, it hurts. So bad. I only ran maybe half the distance the first day, and my feet hurt so bad. This was the main reason I walked the mile the second day, running was out of the question. Four days later, and my feet were still in pain. I'm fairly certain that I have arthritis in my feet. Or maybe plantar fasciitis.  

My husband doesn't believe me, but then again, he doesn't do any running at all, so he really can't talk.

A coworker told me yesterday that new research suggests that walking is actually better exercise for you than running. I don't know what this new research is, but I'm for sure on board with it!

What about you.... are you a runner?






1 comment:

  1. I was a runner... Just over three years ago, I went on a weight loss mission and lost almost 80 lbs. At a certain point in that journey, I started jogging. I used the Couch to 5K app on my phone to gradually work me up to being a runner, and by the time I was at my "peak" athletic shape, I was running 5K no problem. It hurt at the beginning, and I also deal with heel spurs that didn't make it easy, but eventually it got easier and hurt less. Keep it up! I have sadly let myself slide back into old habits over the past year and have gained a lot of my weight back. I'm looking forward to nicer weather so that I can get back out and working on the Couch to 5K again. That said, I have heard it is much easier on the joints to walk instead of run, and walking has always been my preferred means of exercise, so maybe I'll stick with it!! ;) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!