Friday, January 6, 2017

A Sample Menu


Somebody at work asked me what I've been eating.

The answer is: not much.

I'm really trying to cut out the sugar and the caffeine, so no soda and no coffee. I'm a drinker, so I'm trying to limit my alcohol to vodka and water, and only one a night.

I'm going to try to be really good in January, because I have a couple of trips planned in February and I want to enjoy them. I like to keep my intake at 1200-1400 calories, and try to have as little sugar as possible. Here's a sample of what I've been eating this week:

Breakfast: 
1 egg
1/4 avocado
1 cup green tea
129 calories
0 grams of sugar

I eat breakfast at work. I spray the bottom of a bowl with cooking spray, crack my egg in, and microwave for 45-60 seconds. You can't walk away-- once it starts popping, you're about to have a egg explosion in your microwave. Yuck. I eat the egg with my mashed up avocado and drink tea instead of coffee and creamer.

Morning snack: 
1/4 cup raw almonds
170 calories
1 gram of sugar

This is more calories than I would like to have as a snack-- I would prefer to keep it around 100. But they're filling so I will continue to eat them... for now.

Lunch: 
4 oz chicken breast
.5 cup kidney beans
.5 cup chili (no beans)
365 calories
4 grams of sugar

Lunch is usually leftovers from last night's dinner. On this particular day, my husband and kids had chili the night before, and I have grilled chicken and broccoli. So I had left over chicken and chili. I have a food scale and measuring cups-- I never eyeball it. Eyeballs make you fat.

Afternoon snack:
28 Pretzel sticks
2 Tablespoons Hummus
180 calories
0 grams of sugar

I love hummus. Again, measuring is important. 2 Tablespoons isn't very much once you measure it out. And you better believe I counted out all 28 pretzels!

Dinner:
Garden salad with grilled chicken
328 calories
4 grams of sugar

I'm not a huge fan of salads (especially with no dressing!), but it's necessary if you want to fill up! This salad had romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, broccoli, a hard boiled egg, 2 slices of bacon, and three ounces of grilled chicken. The rest of the family added cheese, croutons, and dressing to theirs.

Dessert: 
2 ounces vodka
1 cup sparkling water
130 calories
0 grams of sugar

2 ounces of vodka and a cup of lime sparkling water makes a delicious vodka tonic with no sugar and less calories!

TOTAL for the day:
1302 calories
9 grams of sugar


This is a pretty good indicator of what a good day looks like for me, and an example of what I've been eating all week. Protein for breakfast, healthy snacks throughout the day, and a big salad for dinner! It's working so far!

What have you all been eating? Any healthy recipes you'd like to share?













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment! Make sure you link back to either your email or your blog so I can reply!